Telemedicine Services at Brook Valley Podiatry
Providing expert care without you leaving home!
We know it can be challenging at times to come in for appointments – and this is especially true while the current COVID-19 pandemic is impacting all of our lives.
At the same time, it is important that you find the relief and treatment you need, when you need it.
Fortunately, we have a way for you to stay on top of managing your foot and ankle care when you are unable to physically come to our office:
Regardless of whether illness, quarantine, lack of transportation, scheduling conflicts, or any other obstacle is keeping you from making an in-person visit, a telemedicine appointment is how you can still receive expert insight and analysis from Dr. Birnbaum.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine is when a doctor uses technology (in this case, digital video devices and the Internet) to provide clinical services to you. An in-person meeting is not required.
Essentially, telemedicine allows Dr. Birnbaum to visually inspect your foot or ankle, communicate directly with you, and answer your questions – all while he is at the office and you remain in the comfort of your own home.
There are a variety of specific telemedicine tools and technologies. At Brook Valley Podiatry, we use Doxy.me. It’s very easy. Here is how it works:
- Fill out the form at the bottom of this page to request your telemedicine appointment.
- A member of our staff will get in touch with you to schedule a time that works best for your needs. We will then email you a link to our Doxy.me virtual waiting room.
- When it comes time for your appointment, click this link on the device you wish to use to communicate with Dr. Birnbaum (see more on what this device will need below). Enter your name on the screen that comes up to check in. Dr. Birnbaum will see that you have arrived, and will begin the appointment when he is ready to see you.
Is telemedicine right for you?
Of course, not every type of appointment can be conducted in this way. Appointment types that work best include:
- Initial inspections. Dr. Birnbaum can visually inspect your foot or ankle over video. This information can often be enough to provide a diagnosis and/or recommendations on what you should do next.
- Check-up appointments. Dr. Birnbaum can examine how a wound is healing or follow up on a previous appointment.
- Questions and advice. Have a question about your health care and want immediate answers from a professional? Telemedicine is by far the easiest way to do this.
Telemedicine appointments are ideal for those who must stay home, have children they must care for, or don’t have transportation to get to our office. But you do not need to have one of these reasons to “qualify” for telemedicine. Anyone can request it!
If, after a telemedicine appointment, it is determined that you have an urgent need that should be addressed in the office, please rest assured that we are taking all precautions to provide as sanitary and low-risk an office experience as possible. Learn more about the steps we are taking on our Medical Valet Services page.
What do you need for your appointment?
Before scheduling your telemedicine appointment, please ensure you have or will have:
- A device capable of making and receiving video calls, such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer with a webcam and microphone. If you do not have one, you may be able to borrow one from a friend or loved one. They do not have to worry about downloading any apps or software to their device, as we conduct the meeting entirely through a web browser.
- A stable, reliable internet connection.
- A web browser supported by Doxy.me. This includes Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and iOS Safari. Unfortunately, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge are not supported.
- A private, quiet, and well-lit location to take the call.
We also encourage you to have a trusted family member or friend present with you. They will be able to move the camera, take notes, and provide any other assistance you might need.
Is telemedicine covered by insurance?
While telemedicine services have been increasingly covered by insurance companies, the answer depends on your specific provider and plan. Please contact your provider to receive the most up-to-date information on whether telemedicine is covered, and to what degree.
How can you request your telemedicine appointment?
If you’re ready to request your telemedicine appointment with Dr. Birnbaum, please complete the form on this page.
A member of our office will follow up with you to schedule your appointment, make sure you have everything you need, and answer any questions you may have.
We look forward to serving you—wherever you happen to be!